Kala Sarpa Yoga (KSY) is caused by the Chayya Grahas (Shadow planets) Rahu (Dragon’ Head) and Kethu (Dragon’s Tail). When all the seven other planets of the solar system namely Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn (Shani Dev) are hemmed beween the Rahu and Kethu, Kala Sarpa Yoga (or Dosha) is formed.
For example, in a chart, if Rahu is posited at Tula rasi (Libra) and Kethu is placed at Mesha (Aries) rashi and If all other seven planets are placed at Vrishabha (Taurus), Mithuna (Gemini), Kataka (Cancer) , Simha (Leo), and Kanni (Virgo) rasis then this dosha is formed. If any one planet falls out side or if any planet is associated with Rahu or Kethu, this Dosha termed Kala Sapa Dosha is not fully operative.
In Vedic Astrology, One’s birth chart or Horoscope tells about his/her past karma and the corresponding effects to be produced in the present birth with timing information. Vedic astrology through the placement, combinations, aspects and conjunctions of Navagrahas (9 planets) explains elaborately on various Doshas caused by curses from past or previous lives. Kala sarpa Yoga/Dosha is one such which is blown out of proportion by some. People with this Yoga are believed to suffer from hardship and delays in their early part of their life for some time and not necessarily always.
According to Dr. B. V Raman, the great astrologer of modern times:
“Kala Sarpa Yoga has its bright shades. It makes one industrious, hardworking, and aware of one’s own ability- despite mental restlessness. It raises the natives to top positions in their respective fields provided of course other Raja Yogas are present. Rahu-Kethu axis favors rise in mundane life while Kethu Rahu axis indicates elevation in spiritual matters. It is also found that Kala-sarpa Yoga natives get betrayed by trusted friends and even relatives. Suffering due to developments in life strengthens the mind and mellows one’s outlook. This can be a blessing of Kala-sarpa Yoga.”
“It occurs to me that undue importance need not be given to Kala-sarpa Yoga. The view held by some astrologers that Kala-sarpa Yoga affects longevity and adversely affects the operation of other yogas favoring a rise in life, achievement, and accomplishment is not tenable. The overall assessment of the horoscope is important. No single yoga, including Kala-sarpa Yoga, is capable of marring or making a horoscope. In our view, Kala-sarpa Yoga plays an important role in mundane astrology and is not of much importance in individual charts.”
Agre rahur atho kethu, Sarve Madhya gata graham| Yogam Kalasarpakhyam,Nripa Sasya Vinasanam||”
The meaning of the Sloka:
If Rahu is in front & Kethu is at last while all other planets are hemmed between Rahu and Kethu, then this combination is called Kala Sarpa Yoga, resulting in Death of King or Destruction of grains.
From the above sloka, it can be concluded that KSY has nothing to do with personal astrology (Jhatakha Jyotish) but is related to mundane astrology (Rashtriya Jyotish)
We would like give more clarity on this yoga, so that people get a true picture about the yoga and are not taken for a ride or exploited by greedy people or advisors, making use of the yoga’s presence in one’s chart.
Kala Sarpa Yoga — How it is Formed?
Sarvanabhogasthishta thiyagu Sikhino, Anthralarashigatha ‘Malyavadanthararahithah Yathathatha Kaalasarpa Yogayala
Anulomavilomathkala Dwidhoyam Kaalasarpa aa Yogacha Anthoykthaschanistom karithi Poorvomahasubada
Sampoornasakala vibhavaha Samastha Nripavandhithakhri Kamalayuga Rajadhirajarajo Virajathi Kaalasarpa Yogabhavah
Meaning and Definition:
“If all the seven planets (Surya, Chandra, Budha, Kuja, Guru Shukra and Shani) are placed/hemmed between Rahu and Kethu at the lower part like a Chain (mala) in the natal chart then this yoga called Kala Sarpa is generated.
Condition for formation of KSY
1) When all the 7 planets are within the orbit /Axis of Rahu and Kethu.
2) Rahu should be at the upper end and Kethu must be at the lower end.(that is in anti clock wise)
3) This yoga is formed when there is no planet outside the arc (Axis) or no planet is either with Rahu or Kethu, which means all the planets are inside the stomach of head (Rahu ) and tail Kethu.
4. All the seven planets should face in clockwise direction Rahu, which is always in retrograde motion.
In other words Full Kaala Sarpa Yoga is formed only when one half of the chart completely is unoccupied by planets. Even if one planet is outside the Rahu – Kethu Axis then Kala Sarpa Yoga is not operative or present.
There can be two possibilities arising out of this as mentioned in the above Sloka.
• If all the planets are moving towards the head Rahu, the yoga is extremely powerful.
• If all the planets are moving towards the tail end Kethu, the yoga is not so powerful .
There are also two opinions of this Yoga given by experts.
– Some astrologers think it is a genuine Yoga and should be treated like any other astrological Yoga, while
– Some others think this is just a Dosha and not to be taken seriously or it is more applicable for mundane charts.
The positions of Rahu Kethu in the horoscope play the crucial roles in determining the seriousness of this yoga and its impact.
From the Vedic Scriptures
On Sarpa dosha, Brihat Parashara Hora Shastra (BPHS) declares
Atha purvajanma shapadyotana adhyayah,
Meaning that is inherited by previous birth, which is prominent Dosha /Shapa or curses originated from killing of snakes, breaking their eggs or their hide outs destroyed or set ablaze in previous births. This can be indicated by the placement and strength of Rahu graha.
Putrasthanagate Rahau kujena cha nireekshite l
Kujakshetragate va api sarpashapat sutakshayah ll
Which translate to
• If Rahu is placed in the 5th house, aspect by Mars /Kuja, or
• If Rahu is posited in the 5th house is the house of mars /Kuja, Then the children will be destroyed due to the curse of serpent (s). The indications of such placements are delay in getting children , childlessness, fear from snakes and snake bites etc.
The house to be inspected for this purpose is the fifth house.
BPHS Sarpa Shapa (Chapter 34-35) explain in 18 Slokas these doshas and effects. The yogas for destruction of children are based on various combinations of planets. Remedial measures include worship of the Serpentine forces (Snake Gods) and other specific rituals / prayers.
Kala Sarpa Dosha – The Impact
- People having Kala Sarpa Yoga suffers from mental unrest, obstacles for gain of wealth, barriers in having children and incessant disputes in married life.
- Usually the native gets tendency of seeing haunted dreams including serpent filled dreams with fears, tension and worries.
- The candidates with KSY may not get full reward for their talents. Normally the success in their endeavors is delayed or denied.
- Sudden loss of money or prestige is an indication of this Yoga.
- The native without any reason suffers from some ailments diseases and the cure may be delayed due to improper treatment.
- The Dosha also brings difficulty in maintaining relationships, also the yoga can cause Career related problems and some times sudden death of some close family members.
- There can be delay in getting good alliance in marriage.
- In some cases marriage may be denied or broken.
- People may be harassed sometimes on account of certain matters even without their non-involvement in them.
Since Rahu and Kethu are placed at 180° apart twelve different types of Kala Sarpa Yoga can be formed.
Sheshanaga Kala Sarpa Yoga is one of them which is an extremely evil one as mentioned below.
When Rahu occupies the twelfth house and Kethu is posited in the 6th house this Yoga arises. Then the native life is experienced with persistent problems relating to litigation with many hidden enemies and health related issues.
Cancellation of Kala Sarpa dosha (Dosha Bangha)
Kala Sarpa Yoga may get canceled /neutralized
⦁ If Rahu or Kethu conjoins with any planet either in the Lagna or in the 7th house, it will result in a partial cancellation of the Yoga, and may confer modified results of the respective houses and significations. The native will enjoy either good or bad according to the dispositions of the Lords of the ascendant and the 7th house in the natal horoscope. The impact of the Kala Sarpa Yoga is greatly minimized.
⦁ If three or more planets are exalted or in Parivartana (Mutual house Exchange ) or the lords of the 4th, 5th, 9th and 10th occupy the Trikona or Kendra houses, without combustion, debilitation, inimical positions or malefic aspects. Then too impact of the Kala Sarpa Yoga is minimal or mitigated.
Dosha Bangha happens when Mars and Venus exchange houses so as does Sun and Moon which make the Kala Sarpa yoga impact greatly reduced.
Sun Moon or Jupiter when exalted can contribute towards partial cancellation.
Uttara Kalamritha by Kalidasa mentions about Rahu or Kethu giving beneficial results in such Yogas.
(1) If posited with strength Rahu and Kethu produce effects similar to the planet who owns an inauspicious (Dustana) house — 6,8,12
• In whose house they are placed or with whom they are conjunct.
• The Lords of Kendra and Trikona houses, if not conjoining with Rahu or Kethu produce beneficial results.
The effects will be opposite, if Rahu and Kethu in spite of their malefic nature turning as benefic by virtue of their position in certain houses or association with certain planets.
(2) Rahu and Kethu become extremely auspicious when they occupy a Trikona (or Trine) or Kendra (or Quadrant) or when they are associated with the Lord of that Kendra or Trikona House in which they are positioned.
• They also become beneficial when they conjoin with the Lords of any Kendra or Trikona House.
• If the Lord of the 9th own the 8th or 12th House, or if the Lord of the 9th and the 10th in the above circumstances were to conjoin with the Lord of the 9th or 12th, then the (above said) auspiciousness of the Yoga is absent.
(3) If Rahu or Kethu and the Lord of a Trikona are positioned in the 9th or 10th house, or if one of them is in the 9th or the other in the 10th or vice versa, the Yoga will cause immense prosperity and success to the person. Even a conjunction of Rahu or Kethu with the lord of a Trikona will prove beneficial.
In the above circumstance Rahu and Kethu as well as the planet conjoined with them will prove beneficial. Similarly If a planet who is inauspicious and associated by relationship with Rahu or Kethu then the Bhukti of the Yoga Karaka Graha will prove adverse.
Kala Saropa Yoga also confers mysterious and mystical powers on certain natives which are good to lift the native to great heights of Fame as well. Many of the world famous personalities got this Kala Sarpa Yoga giving them tremendous fame and absolute powers.
Some personalities with This Dosha/Yoga include
Nehru who struggled till 54th year became powerful later and rose to prominence.
Dhirubhai Ambani who had powerful Shani in his own sign in the house of wealth in birth chart and Sun in his own sign in ascendant in Navamsha which is divisional of wealth. (This demonstrates that other powerful Yoga can subdue Kala Sarpa Yoga in respective fields.)
Margaret Thatcher (Former British Prime Minister) Nelson Mandela (Former South African President) Alfred Hitchcock (British film director and producer) Rajinikanth ,Guruji, Lata Mangeshkar, Chiranjeevi ,Sachin Tendulkar etc are some more examples.
Kala Sarpa Yoga – Various Types
ANANT Kala Sarpa Dosha
This occurs when Rahu is placed in the first house and Kethu is in seventh and the planets are placed on only one of the side from Rahu/Kethu axis. This is not a good position for marital happiness and relationships.
KULIK Kala Sarpa Dosha
When Rahu is in 2nd house and Kethu is in 8th house then this dosha is generated. This is very bad for health of the native. The native may have an many or severe accidents in life. He may face loss of name or reputation and loss of peace.
VASUKI Kala Sarpa Dosha
This is generated when Rahu is in 3rd house and Kethu is in 9th house. The native may suffer due to hyper tension, losses due to friends or relatives.
SHANKPAL KAAL SARP DOSHA
When Rahu is in 4th house and Kethu is in 10th house this dosha arises. The native suffers from anxiety, tension, trauma, problems in life.
PADAM Kala Sarpa Dosha
When Rahu is in 5th and Kethu is in 11th house it forms this dosha. Due to this Dosha, the native May have problems arising from difficulties in getting children, early death of children, miscarriages or abortions.
MAHAPADAM Kala Sarpa Dosha
This will be formed when Rahu is in the 6th house and Kethu is in the 12th house. The native will suffer from hidden and serious enemies and may have to face litigation and punishments.
TAKSHAK Kala Sarpa Dosha
When Rahu is in the 7th house and Kethu is in the Lagna this dosha is created. The native suffers due to speculative investments and consequent loss of wealth. He may get addicted to bad habits.
KARKOTAK Kala Sarpa Dosha
The Karkotak Kaal Sarp Yog arises when Rahu is in 8th house and Kethu is in 2nd house. People with this yoga may have many enemies and lose temper quite often. They may be prone to secretive diseases.
SHANKACHOOD Kala Sarpa Dosha
When Rahu is in 9th house and Kethu is in 3rd house this dosha occurs. The native suffers from atheistic or anti religious tendencies and upheavals and confusions in life.
GHATAK Kala Sarpa Dosha
This yoga may make a person get confined or punished by law but this may be seen with people in politics. This happens when afflicted Rahu is in 10th house.
VISHDHAR Kala Sarpa Dosha
Rahu in 11th and Kethu in 5th makes this dosha. The native may be fond of frequent travels. They may not receive much support from family and the later parts of their life may be good.
SHESHNAG Kala Sarpa Dosha
The person with this yoga suffers a lot in life due to enemies and litigations. It happens when Rahu is in 12th house and Kethu is in 6th house.
Remedies for Kalasarpa Dosha
There are variety of remedial measures and propitiation rituals explained in scriptures of different school of Vedic astrology to pacify Kala Sarpa Yoga. If these measures are implemented with utmost devotion under the spiritual guidance of a competent Guru or Acharya or Vedic Astrolger, it is helpful to mitigate or reduce the bad effects or impact of the KSY considerably.
Following are some of those remedies being followed in practice:
- Planting and worshipping Tulsi plant in the house.
- Chanting Sarpa Sukta daily with devotion.
- Kala Sarpa Yoga can be remedied at Sri Kalahasthi Temple near Tirupati in AP by performing Sarpa Dosha Nivarti Puja at the Temple. .
- Wearing under guidance ring made out of silver or special alloys with Gomed and Cat’s eye stones may help to certain extent.
- The remedial rituals can also be performed at Trayambakeshwar Temple near Nasik, Kedarnath, Tirupamparam Temple near Kumbakonam, Periayur near Pudukkottai, Kuke Subramaniya Temple as well.
- Chanting under guidance certain portion of Vedic scriptures / Vedic mantras daily can help mitigate the doshas.
- Performing Nag Panchami vritta and wearing a ring with snake enshrined over it under appropriate guidance reduces the dosha’s impact.
- Installing Kala Sarpa Yoga Yantra and worshiping it daily can help.
- Donating fresh Radishes and throwing coal pieces in a flowing water/river are advised by some for appeasing the Grahas as a remedy.
- Chanting Mahamrityunjaya Japa 5 lacs times along with Sarpa Sujatham Japa / Homa (with Dasamsa Homa) can be an antidote for the yoga.
- Feeding fish and birds, offering Barley seeds to birds are also advised.
- Performing prayers (Shraddha) for forefathers properly during Pitr Paksha without break every year can keep the Dosha under some control.
- Prayer to the family deity periodically is also advised for reducing the negative impacts.
- Donating food, gifts and money on Saturdays and Tuesdays to poor people, on Thursdays to Brahmins and priests, feeding cows on Fridays can be a good remedy along with other remedies.