Hindus believe that our dead ancestors live as manes in Pithruloka. It is responsibility of their descendants to offer them food and water in the form of Annual Sradha and monthly tharpanas. It is believed that manes curse their descendants who do not offer them these. It is recommended that it is chanted daily and if not possible on Sradha and Tharpana days.
1. Om nama pithre,janma dhathre, sarva deva mayaya cha, Shukhadhaya prasannaya supreethaaya Mahathmane.
1. Om salutations to the manes, who gave me birth and who are filled with all devas,
And who bless us with pleasure, who are happy and are great ones liked by good people.
2. Sarva Yajna swaroopaaya,swargeeya parameshtine, Sarva theerthavalokaya, karuna sagaraya cha.
Oh manes of the form of all yajnas, who are the gods in heaven, Who are the form of all sacred waters as well as oceans of mercy.
3. Nama sadaa asuthoshaya,Shiva roopaya they nama, Sadaa aparadha kshamine, sukhaya sukhadhaya cha.
Salutations always to them who are easily pleased, Salutations to them in the form of Shiva, To those who always pardon our mistakes, who are pleasant and bless us with pleasure.
4. Durlabham manushamidham yena labhdham mayaa vapu, Sambhavaneeyam dharmarthe, thasmai pithre namo nama.
The human birth is difficult to get, and through you I have got it, For performing of Dharmas and so my salutations to you manes.
5. Theertha snana thapo japadhi yasya darasanam, Maha gurescha gurave thasmai pithre namo nama.
Having taken bath in sacred waters, done penance and meditation, I have been able to see you, Oh teacher of all teachers, because of that I salute you oh manes.
6. Yasya pranama stavanath koteesa pithru tharpanam, Aswamedha sathai sthulyam, thasmai pithre namo nama.
As per your words alternative of praying to you is performing of tharpana, And It is equivalent to one hundred Aswamedha, because of that I salute you.
(Hearing of usefulness)
1. Idham stotram pithru punyam ya padeth prayatho nara, Prathyaham pratharuthaya, pithru sradha dhinopi cha
Man should try to chant this blessed prayer addressed to the manes, Daily as soon as he gets up and also on the Sradha days of the manes.
2. Swajanma divase sakshath pithuragre sthithopi vaa, Na thasya durlabham kinchith sarvajnathadhi vanchitham
Chanting it on our own birthday or standing near one’s own father,
Is something difficult to get but is desired even by the all-knowing ones.
3. Naanaa apakarma kruthwabhi ya sthouthi pitharam sutha, Sa dhruvam pravidhayaiva prayaschitham sukhee bhavedh, Pithru preethikaroi nithyam sarvakarmaanyadharhathi.
Even though works not according to Dharma are done by people,
If they pray their manes with devotion,
They would become dear to the manes and would merit all sort of honours.
Ithi bruhadh dharma purane pithru stotram sampoornam.
Thus ends the prayer to the manes occurring in the Great Dharma Purana.
(Translation by P. R. Ramachander)